Saturday, February 11, 2012

Hot Chocolate Mix

I ran out of the cheap Wal-mart stuff the other day, and decided to learn how to make my own from my food storage.  So I created this recipe after comparing, merging, and modifying around 10 different recipes I found online.  I'm not sure if it would qualify as "Transcendent," but it's lots better than Swiss Mix and a lot more customizable to your liking.  (Use semi-sweet chocolate chips for a more dark hot chocolate, or milk chocolate chips for a more classic flavor.  Try mint chocolate chips for that matter.  Mmmm.  Increase or decrease the sugar or cocoa powder as you like too.  You can't really mess it up.)

3 cups powdered milk
2 cups powdered sugar
2 cups mini (or finely chopped) chocolate chips
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup powdered non-diary creamer
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp salt
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1/2 vanilla bean, ground into powder (optional)

Mix everything together and store in an air-tight container.  (I use an old #10 can and lid.)  Yield: About 25-30 servings.

To make hot chocolate, put 1/4 to 1/3 cup of mix in a mug and add hot water.  Stir until the chocolate chip pieces are all melted.

(Optional) Add milk, cream, vanilla, cinnamon, whipped cream, marshmallows, mint syrup, caramel syrup, amaretto, or anything else you can think of to make your own gourmet hot chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment